PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The R22 corner: Owning, flying & training questions
Old 4th Jul 2011, 13:22
3top

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Peter-RB,

"to cut a long and boring story short" ...... what you call boring!
Don't want to know what you call interesting then!!

From experience (....or whatever you call it, if you get away with doing stupid things) - Robinsons are extremly hard to kill, VERY tough aircraft.
So, no worries, find a different place to rent and stay in it!

Don't have the book available right now, but 125/130% should call for new blades at a minimum, if not new spindels and head, too...

Now, one item I REALLY like on Eurocopters is the "Flightreport/Failure/Overlimit"-feature in their VEMDs!!
At least for the last 31 flights you can review the aircraft-generated flightreports, any failures detected and overlimits are stored until cleared by maintenance (IIUC - some can only be cleared by Eurocopter Service Centers).

As a pilot you have full acces to this data, just by going into the VEMD before you take over the helo. Also, this encourages pilots to "volunteer" any "F*** Up" they might have produced.

Unfortunately there are people out there that rather would cover up and let someone else find out - I couldn't live with myself, if I find out that I caused someone elses death or injury, because I was a coward, not reporting my mistakes!
(I had a interesting "episode" - not boring at all to me! ...in a 206, that I blame on a another driver [can't call that guy a pilot...], causing - "instant engine failures, but keep making noises (aweful ones!) until they are certainly dead!" - this one did all the way down....)

The chap who caused "your episode", hopefully burned himself in the industry - should be a lesson to others!

Now, implementing a mandatory reporting/recording device is only going to happen if the authorities make it happen.
Changing ANYTHING on existing airframe-designs costs huge money to he manufacturer - certification/re-certification/STC.

They may do it on a newly developed airframe (does the R66 have such a system??), but it will need some serious arm-twisting to have this implemented on existing designs and even worse to re-equip on existing airframes.....
(Though technically it is "chickens***" to do - ALL the necessary sensors are already in place - just need to collect the data and compare to set parameters)

3top