PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Completion of std flight segments in oei scenario
Old 4th Jul 2011, 11:42
Ops_Room_Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Completion of std flight segments in oei scenario

Dear all,

Just after some thoughts and ideas on the above?

From your experience, company procedures and regulations I wonder what the consensus is on the following:

Assuming you are an operator that utilise EOSID, Emergency Turn, Engine Failure Procedures etc.....

Within the construction of your procedures and your understanding of regulations and how to fly the damm aircraft is it ALWAYS required to complete the 3rd and 4th segment when experiencing engine failure / designing a tailored procedure.

I would have thought that the main criteria in engine failure scenario is to climb and follow a path where obstacles and terrain can be cleared within OEI performance to find a suitable holding pattern where altitude can be gained if needed and allows you time to consider your options for landing back at the original aerodrome/diversion airfield. This may occur at various points in the progression of the take-off process and due to the local airfield, obstacle, terrain constraints but also at which point after V1 you suffer the engine failure.
I would not have thought completing the 4 segments would be required or even desirable in some scenarios, but can't find anything to suggest one way or the other.

Obviously each aerodrome offers it own challenges, so no one answer fits (unless regs dictate) but a simple airport with benign terrain/obstacles climbing to min accl altitude and finding a suitable hold over a navaid may well suffice and allow you to climb and evaluate. Others may require you to follow a quite specific course and turns at specified speeds and therefore you may well be into 3rd segment and then become ltd by TOGA for 5-10mins and into the 4th.........

On another note, does anyone know regulation concerning a max 200KIAS for following a procedure turn?> I can find many references to but no regulation. I can see the reason / rationale as adding a speed restriction to such helps to ensure you stay within the area considered for terrain clearance, but is there any regulation and if so does it apply to procedure turn only in the context of Instrument Approach / MAP?

Appreciate any input, ideas, experience. Keep them polite though

ORJ