PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Carrier (Including Costs)
View Single Post
Old 4th Jul 2011, 10:41
WE Branch Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Schiller

Agree to an extent, but don't inderestimate the value of corporate experience, and things like having senior rates with fixed wing experience and so on.

SFFP/P U G Wash

This page from the Naval Technology website might interest you:

The carrier is fitted with the SATRAP computerised, integrated stabilisation system designed to maintain stabilisation to within 0.5° of horizontal, allowing aircraft to be operated up to sea state 5/6.

As well as the carrier's two pairs of active stabilising fins and twin rudders, the system has two computer-controlled compensation units which consist of two rail tracks for trains carrying 22t of deadweight.

These tracks run transversely below the flight deck. This system is designed to compensate for wind and heel and control roll, yaw and surge.

I would go as far as saying a modern carrier can probably operate in worse weather than one in the past - due to advances in technology.

If there is any truth in this story then it suggests a technical fault somewhere - which the Mail reporter seems to have not been told about. Carriers are designed to operate at sea, including rough seas, for example during the 1980s the USN commited no less than eight carriers to the Atlantic Fleet. Not that this stops the anti carrier lobby jumping on the story like a tramp on chips.

Actually - this reinforces my point about carrier flying operations being a whole ship activity - as I mentioned previously (the same post also has a link to the sory about the last Minute Harrier decision). Also see glojo's remarks below about flight deck personnel.

Last edited by WE Branch Fanatic; 4th Jul 2011 at 19:39.