PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is the Hunter the 'Spitfire' of the jet age...?
Old 8th Oct 2002, 15:46
Archimedes

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Teeteringhead,

The last Spit sortie was made during the Malyan emergency; think it was a PR19 from 81 Squadron at some time inn 1955 (one presumes that we're including Griffon engined Spits as 'proper' Spits ), and the Hunter F1 entered service in '54.

This makes the chances of the crossover very high. I seem to recall some of the RAF Historical Society publications have implied reference to the more senior pilots/flight commanders/COs on Hunter squadrons being veterans of the War on fighters - almost certain that some of these would have been Spitfire pilots. Also, given that 60 Squadron flew attack missions over Malaya, it's quite possible that some of the junior pilots on that unit would have gone on to Hunters.

There's a new book by Peter Caygill (I think) called 'Jet Jockeys' (published by Airlife), which, from what I recall (my copy is currently residing with my father some 100 miles from me) mentions this sort of thing. Indeed, I remember that one of the chaps interviewed for the book describes the Hunter as 'the Spitfire of the jet age'. That said, someone else gives that accolade to the F-86 (or Sabre F4, if we're being correct).