PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Looking for a very nice (uk/euro) Commander 114B
Old 4th Jul 2011, 08:22
goldeneaglepilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think my post may have not been clear enough, I did not say that the 112 /114 was not stable, it is. However I found that in turbulent IMC it required more work than the Saratoga or TB20. It does wander in pitch compared to the others. I did love my 112, what I did not like was the stream of AD's which came out for it. That happens with all aircraft, but some more frequently than others.

I think any pilot will get to speed with it, the point I was trying to make is that its easier to transition from say a TB200 or Arrow to the Rockwell, than say from a PA28 to the Rockwell. I agree with IO540, the avionics make a huge difference. It is easier for a pilot with an IR or IMC, but to me its the tough route to take to use one to learn the IMC or IR rating in.

The one thing which did shock me with the Rockwell was the cost of the exhaust - which has needed replacing at some time in all 4 Rockwells I have flown. The forums suggest it is a common problem with type.

With regards the loaned elevator - yes that makes a lot of sense, but the inference was that it was needed for some time. I would have thought that the cracked elevator would take no more than six weeks to get sorted by repair and modification.

I fly a Malibu now, and in reality my current maintenance costs are on par with what I paid during the 3 years of half owning the Rockwell - which included the dreaded spar mod.