PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The R22 corner: Owning, flying & training questions
Old 4th Jul 2011, 07:48
Aucky

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I remember being told that there are 2 preflight tell tales to look for indicating an overspeed in flight/auto, one is on the blade itself, the ribbed section near the root, following a serious overspeed you may get slight stretching of the blade and this could show as the blade paint actually showing cracks due to the expansion (apparently the area near the root is most common). And that if the bearings have suffered brinelling then the collective may feel notchy/rough when doing your 'full and free' checks... not saying either will always be present, but in extreme cases they may be, and certainly if either signs are present I would get an engineering opinion before flying.

I know this has been covered in another thread, but don't train with or rent a helicopter from anywhere who's integrity and honesty you cannot trust.

It sound like a traumatic event to have happened to Peter-RB, but I wouldn't blame it on the type. There are plenty of occurrences of people over temp/torque 206's etc that are not immediately noticeable that lead to problems down the line etc. Trusting your provider is the main starting point. Ideally somewhere with a no-blame culture so people are not scared to admit an accidental mistake...