PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Alcohol Testing of Flight Crew
View Single Post
Old 4th Jul 2011, 06:43
Desert185

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Avaiton has changed almost beyond recognition over the last couple of decades, and I think this is going to require a whole new 'mindset' from the next generation of flight crew.

Pointless and offensive security screenings, being monitored from the moment you show up for work, drugs and alcohol testing, and the fact that converstions on the flight deck are no longer private, will require us all adopt a very different work attitude.

Those of us whom remember the 'good ole' days, are going to have the hardest time with all this I suspect.
When I was an expat crewmember with Iran Air in the 70's, the purser would serve us champagne or a beer on the last leg's taxi in, along with two beers in a barf bag for the ride home (they drove us home in a crew car). Yes...times have changed.

I'm now retired from the airlines, but when the company gave us a random drug check, it was always postflight, to include an alcohol check. I always thought the check should be before the flight, rather than 8-12 hours later at block in. The company also stopped us from carrying a crew bottle years ago.