PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 slats/flaps jammed
View Single Post
Old 4th Jul 2011, 03:34
Trust me Im Staff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"consider a total flaps and slats fault (flap lever control sensor unit fault, for instance).
You can reduce speed right away to VLS and set the lever to conf 2 and 3 at VFE next -5 kt. This will be symbolic, since nothing happens. In the mean time, PNF can calculate landing distance. VMAX is unlimited, because you are clean"

Hi Microburst,

I'll have to take issue with the above statement. In the event you experience, like you say a flap and slat fault, you do not set the flap lever to config 2 or 3, but according to the STATUS Page and QRH, set the Flap handle to Config 1 unless I misunderstood your example to mean other config abnormalities.
Additionally, you cannot reduce speed to Full Flap VLS in the Clean configuration, but must honor the +60 kt additive + VLS for your Approach speed (+50 kts for Landing)

Airbus recommends to fly this type of no flap no slat approach in Selected Speed. Selected speed during a configuration abnormal packs such a high energy state that GS mini functions are not relevant at this point. See attached Training Manual documents from Airbus.

Likewise, whether the Selected Approach speed transitions to Managed on a Go Around is irrelevant (Im in the sim tomorrow and will find out) as Airbus recommends that the speed be selected and acclerated manually in order to have better control of your speed during accleration for your configuration. Again, reference below Training Manual docs from Airbus.

rgds,
TMIS