PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What made you walk away
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2011, 14:58
dabz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I was a little boy I wanted to be a bus driver! wahoo!
Then oneday I got to sit in the cockpit for take off and landing of a DC10-30 omg! I figured out pilots are glorified bus drivers but cooler with more expensive toys!

Once I finished school I used to wake up at 6am, catch the train south, then walk an hour to the aerodrome to do my PPL, CPL, IF theory then hitch a ride to McD's where I'd work 6pm-11pm. Walk home for 30mins to sleep then repeat.

I did this for a year.

I got past first solo then ran outta cash, that McD's salary just wasn't cutting it!

So I had to give up and work full time for a few years, I was never happy over these years.

I begged the CP of my school to let me have another shot and I finished my CPL, IF and ATPL subjects while working full time over 2 years.

I then took all that lovely leave I saved up from working and took 4 months off to do my instructors rating and finish my diploma in aviation.

You'd think I woulda picked up a job instructing.. noooo lifes not that easy!

Start to finish of my training was about 8 years and I though NZ was pretty cruel to me but I never gave up...

I packed my bags, said bye to my friends and family and headed to Auz.
That was very very hard, specially since I thought it could be the last time I saw my mum alive.

After getting a few hot tips I setup camp somewhere I was likely to get work, picked up a job at the local pub where all the pilots hung out and found a 2nd full time job which gave me food and accomodation.

I worked really hard and got to know people and after 2 months of being in Aus and 9 years of chasing my dreams I got the call.

Last week was my first week and I've done a few ferry flights and some ICUS and loving every moment. The work's only going to pick up too.

Did I ever think about giving up? yes but the thought of me giving up and being old and grey thinking "what if I never gave up, would I have ever made it to my dream job?" kept me going. I never want to be that guy...