PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter Propwash on Runway app's
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2002, 12:52
Fujiflyer

Some more money for Capt PPRuNe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
distaff_beancounter,

I found this accident report particularly distressing to read because of the circumstances in which it took place. It really was one of those cases where to outcome seems so extremely unfair given the prevailing conditions, etc.

Having read the report for the second time it is hard to draw conclusions but from what I have understood the accident seems to have resulted because of poor communications between TWR and the SRG170. The report states that the SRG170 was unaware of the landing Cessna - well that doesn't really sound good enough given the SRG170 was airborne.

The execution of a go around even in the very late stages of the approach, immediately prior to touch down would potentially have placed the aircraft in the path of the Sea King.
So in addition this poor pilot did not even have the option of a go around had he decided he needed to do one without this complication?

I must admit I had not realised that downwash from helicopters was quite so dangerous. And I fly from an airport which is busy with helicopter activity albeit generally smaller ones than the Sea King.

FujiF