PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Anyone flown (or fly) the Huey?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2011, 22:18
Rigga

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
"Just seen G-HUEY on the living daylights in a white paint job? Was it the only UH1 in the country then as it is now?
I guess it was painted for the film or originally white?"

I used to work on it, so this is from memory.

G-HUEY was transported, as a "Prize of War", from Port Stanley to the UK mounted on the back of a lorry trailer hidden behind some ISO containers on the lower deck a British Rail Ferry.

It was White with Red Crosses as painted by the Argentine Forces in the Falklands for Casevac duties. Later on it was also marked with yellow "UK" on the tailboom sides to show it was working for the Brits after the ceasefire.

After a road accident in the UK it took four years to repair it back to flying condition and get a Permit To Fly through Bristow Helicopters.

G-HUEY did at least six years on the UK Airshow circuit working for the RAF Benevolent Fund and IAT.

The red crosses were changed to red outlines after the film as this avoided a licence fee to the International Red Cross Comittee.

The pilot in the film was Rob T the "crewman" was Ady G.

For the 50th anniversary of SAR services it was repainted by Marshalls Aerospace - Black with a rainbow made of of colours of SAR services all over the world - it looked awful to me! Through IAT it was also sponsored by a Tobacco company?

It was repainted green by the last owner.

Although it was the only Huey in UK at the time the film was made G-UHIH ( a genuine Viet vet) is now based in Blackpool. Rob T has flown that one too.

Hope this answers your question - and thanks for sparking off my memories.

Incidentally, in 1989 I got my first UK CAA LAE Licences from working on this beast. So I owe a lot to it.

Rigga