PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread no. 4
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2011, 21:51
RetiredF4

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
ChrisScott
The warnings and their hierarchy are not so different from yours in principle. On current Airbuses, there is no WLDP (warning-lights display panel), but the system PBs (push-button switches) have an amber "FAULT" W/L built-in. (If a PB's normal position is on, it will show a white "OFF" warning when off. The handful that are normally in the off position, like wing anti-ice, have a blue "ON" light.
I think the warning systems are quite different. They are overloading and i´m also not happy with the detail of the warning, if a understand the events of AF447 correctly.

If the speed gets unreliable, i want to be informed about it when the information is available. No need to backtrack it and second guess it from other indications like disconect of autopilot and autothrust.

If the system reverts to another LAW, it should say exactly that.

The message "use man Pitch Trim" is weird as well. If i dont want to use it, i´m gonna disregard that message probably, becaue i anyway never used it before. So the trim stayed all the way nose up. Wouldn´t a THS Full nose up warning be more appropriate?

The Warning logic seems to be a kind of advisory logic like do this and do that without stating the big WHY you should do it.

And concerning chimes and chords or bells, very nice if they come single, noisy when they come repetitive and useless when they are overloading when multiple systems fail. They are momentary as well, if you miss one, the info seems to be gone.

Pushbuttons with fault indications are nice, but do i see that correct, 60 lights distributed over 5 m² cockpit space? How long does it take to check all in a night with adverse WX or on a day with bright sunlight?

I´m not convinced that this system is to the best benefit of pilots in abnormal situations.