PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Safety in the Balance
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2011, 16:02
Bigbluebroxi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I get paid £6.60 an hour. Anything over 37.5 hours is paid at time and a half and any overtime on a sunday is paid at time and two thirds.

I get shift pay which takes my hourly rate up to £7.40 p/h, and additional shift payments for a Saturday at approx 70p p/h and a Sunday of roughly £2p/h.

I'm also on a permananet 20 hour contract and have to work ridculous shifts to make a decent living. I regularly do double shifts starting at 0530, and finish at about 2300, then back in at 0530 again the next day for more.

I'm rostered around 35 hours every week, and although a full time contract would be justified, even over the winter, the company refuse to entertain the idea.

If my average wage from the first quarter of this year continues then i'll earn around £21k this year, however based on the figures above you can see how many hours I'm needing to put in to earn even that amount. Incidentally i think that would be a fare reflection of what the position should be paid for a 37.5 hour week, and would be perfectly happy with those conditions.

Like 750xl, im not paid any extra for being able to handle airlines that other colleagues can't. I hold a Viring Atlantic TCO license, and a British Airways TRC license, however earn no more per hour that folk who have no extra qualification and struggle to do things like fill out a AAA manifest. Sticks in the throat slightly, especially when the staff who are actually employed by said airlines earn salaries in the mid to high 20's for doing the same job, yet require less overall knowledge as they only need to know the procedures for that specific airline, not the umpteen that us handling agent employees do.