PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A Few Questions about PPL/Scotland
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2002, 10:22
rossco18_uk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi there,
Thank you for all the comments. I was surpirsed to read this 100 hour restriction at GFC - never actually knew it existed, even though you are a fully qualified private pilot. Anyway, have done a couple of hours at prestwick flying club a short while ago, however, I do have another question - are there two flying clubs at Prestwick? Just I keep hearing people talking about one on the north side and one on the south side, so are there actually two? A brand New 172, would be very nice to fly, dread to think of the cost though I had a look at Cumbernauld the other day.... So it really is either Glasgow, Prestwick (north or south???) or Perth. Have to say never knew Perth had no landing fees. I wonder how many VFR days you would get which would allow you to take an a/c from Glasgow all the way to Aberdeen.
What are the rules governing the city centre of Glasgow? I know it's within Class D, but surely that doesn't mean you can't fly over it, just keep within the rules of the ANO. Is that correct? And go where ATC tell you to go?
I have an airband receiver already and funnily enough, was listening to Glasgow yesterday, although I think because I am fairly far away and to be honest mine is not very good, I could not hear the ATC Controllers, but I could hear the pilot's and I did hear the phrase "line up" instead of "Taxi into position and hold!" I don't think the RT will take getting a lot of used to, and nor the flying, I guess it's just getting used to the local area.

Anyway, any other info would be great.

Ross