PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320- Loss of AP,FD, A/THR
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2011, 12:28
channel4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A320- Loss of AP,FD, A/THR

Grateful if i could get some advice from Pilots,

If you experience loss of AP, FD, A/THR on approach for example (eg. Flap/Slat fault on approach/G+Y hydraulic loss etc)...

and you therefore want to go around (or fly direct to ) and hold over the fix (eg. VOR) for missed approach (or any other fix), which naturally gives you time as a crew to prepare for the approach properly and accordingly.

My question is, as you know the workload (particularly for G+Y failure) is immense. The PNF has to perform ECAM/Status/summary etc whilst PF is required to handfly without AP,FD,A/thr, communicate with ATC and monitor PNF procedures.

In this case as PF, would you handfly to the holding fix and perform holds using raw data whilst hand flying? Would this not take up concentration which could better be used to monitor ATC and PNF actions etc? Or do you have another technique which relieves the workload of having to handfly holding patterns (or a procedure) with raw data ? If so, what do you do/request normally, continuous radar vectors to maintain aircraft separation?

There are certain failures which require considerable workload and interaction between PF and PNF (eg. Unreliable speed procedure). I imagine to have to hand fly and hold over a fix whilst trying to resolve a problem may take up more concentration than to simply ask for continuous radar vectors or something alike which can help PF relieve workload.

Whats your opinion and what technique would you use (or have used) as PF in such a case when the workload is extremely high?

C4