PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread no. 4
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2011, 11:29
Chris Scott

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Quote from Linktrained:
The PF on AF447 may have seldom hand flown at cruising level. If, and just if, he had gripped the SS too firmly with his fingers, would this, could this, induce a NU, which in turn would be taken as an order by the trimmer, slowly to wind on full NU ?

I think a number of us are of that opinion, and the PF had lateral-control issues to cope with. These might have distracted him from pitch control, as well as causing him to tighten his grip.

Quote:
A gradual change of whatever indication there may be of the amount of trim might have been overlooked - there was a lot going on. ( I might have a light flash on when more than 75% has been used, just to remind me.)

Many aircraft have aural warnings, such as the "whooler", whenever the THS is in motion. I quickly learned to prefer Airbus's philosophy of a "quiet, dark cockpit". But in the case of an abnormality such as Alternate Law, perhaps something like the whooler should be provided.

IIRC, THS position is not normally displayed on the centre panel en-route, so the PF has to avert his gaze to the trim wheel if he wants to check its position or movement