PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - STANSTED - 2
Thread: STANSTED - 2
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2011, 07:59
Falcon666

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a regular passenger through STN this year (not by choice though) i wouldnt disagree with anything that has been said.
From a location point of view i would use LTN or EMA anytime but i would concede that travelling through LTN these days isnt a pleasurable experience due to the fact it is running at 90% capacity.
I remember people saying when EL AL moved its operations from STN to LTN that it wouldnt last-but it did and is doing well.
Then came Blue Air flying to Bucharest,they moved into direct competion with Wizz at LTN but still it is successful.
LTN i think is vulnerable though.A lot will depend on what happens at LTN in the future.Sure ,there is a clear case for expansion there.Should it happen ,i think yes .Will it happen, thats up to the council and Albertis to sort out.
If LTN was to lose Wizz to STN that would be a hammer blow but could happen.But maybe airlines are just too scared in facing up to Ryanair.Maybe Ryanairs base there is just too big , a virtual monopoly.With Easy maybe moving routes to SEN that will make it even worse for decent competion.
As an airport though i would be asking its management a few questions.Are BAA really interested in STN now?-thats up for debate.
Maybe the quicker it goes the better but what will the new owners change.Are the costs of running STN just too high?.Why are so many airlines moving/have moved from what is an apparently a good airport?Certainly there are interesting times ahead in the south east right now