PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A Few Questions about PPL/Scotland
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2002, 09:17
Deeko01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rossco,

Just to add my wee bit, I came back from the US in January with the PPL and promptly joined Cumbernauld Flying School, done a couple of hours with the instructor on the Katana then was checked out. RT wasn't a problem for me as l have worked in aviation a while and l knew what it was all about but if your not sure then the best advice is to get a cheap airband radio and listen to what they are saying it is a great help.

I wanted to fly from Glasgow Airport with the GFC because as l live in Paisley its right on the doorstep, however this 100 hour (due insurance) nonsense that they have going on down there put me right off but you can fly the terrorhawk (no thanks) on your PPL.

Cumbernauld, well its very difficult to get a hold of an aeroplane there without about 3/4 weeks booking in advance, they have 2 katanas of which 1 they own and one they dont so they want to use the they own as much as possible, they also have a warrior which l would say would be more available to self hire peeps. They are ok but are not a company l would recommend if you want to do self hire flying.

I thought about Prestwick and am still undecided, l hear the Northside are getting a brand new Cessna 172 Skyhawk fresh out of the box so that might be worth a look, although l have no idea if and when it arrives or what the membership or rental fees would be.

I am starting at Tayflite in Perth who have one Katana, ok its like 70 miles from paisley but what the hell its a darn site closer to dundee, aberdeen or inverness if you wanted to fly up that way, they have no Membership fees, no Landing fees (unless you land away) and there rate is £64 per hour self fly hire which is very very good and l have heard lots of very positive comments about how friendly it is over there so would give it some consideration if l were you.

At the end of the day we all want the cheapest flying possible.

Best Regards and let us know where you decide to go flying!!

Happy Landings