PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EasyJet - 4
Thread: EasyJet - 4
View Single Post
Old 1st Jul 2011, 17:56
OltonPete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
easy & BHX

jpthomas72

Some strange examples used - flybe to Frankfurt is competing with major International airline with four frequencies everyday and to a massive hub but
Berlin would be competing with Ryanair at EMA only or at push easy at LTN.

Also flybe had two weekday frequencies on a Q400, which on a good day was serviceable and it was all geared to the UK based passenger with very
little code-share feed at Frankfurt (Qantas?). The only surprising aspect is that it lasted so long.

Catchment Area - not quite sure what you mean by your statement. Isn't it clearly defined as the number of people living with a certain radius? If so, it is big and most seem to agree that BHX only gets a 40% share. Although I agree that the proximity of London & Manchester is a major factor but not insurmountable.

The easy way (no pun) to improve on 40% would be get direct services to places where people want to go and easyjet seem to able to give an airport this option (see Manchester) but if the airport bean-counters are happy with their lot and won't make any short-term concessions on fees, then that is fine if it fits into a well defined long-term strategy (dubious?).

If they have made concessions and easy still are not interested then
that is that but very frustrating for us in Midlands when comparing to other airports although I realise it is never as simple as that but I would love to know the nature of past discussions between easy and BHX.

Pete