PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'Will work for free'
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2002, 07:34
Jet II

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It strikes me that some of you are being very harsh on the pilots (such as the one asking for a job in the 'Attention: Airline managers, Chief Pilots and HR Departments' posting) who are trying to get a job any way they can in todays market.

If the individual is prepared to pay for his own training and work for a low rate to get experience and hopefully a full time job - then good luck to him, I personally wouldn't do it but I would not criticise anyone who does.

A friend of mine decided that he wanted to change career and be a pilot, so he spent thousands on getting trained, he paid for his own 757 type rating - now he is in the R/H seat of a Big Airways 747-400 and on easy street for life. I say good luck to him as I would not have been prepared to get into the tens of thousands of pounds of debt that he did - but it is what he wanted to do, so he stopped taling about it and got on and did it.

As for the worries that people who are prepared to pay for their own type-ratings and work for nothing will drag down the whole industry - it don't beleive that there are that many people who are willing/able to do this.