PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - land/sea breezes
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2002, 06:32
GLSNightPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the US Gulf, that's not something we usually see. The winds are part of bigger weather systems, & are generally stronger than the effects of land/sea breezes. Last week was one example - Lili showed up, & now lots of platforms are tilted, & at least 3 drilling rigs are gone, one just missing completely. That is extreme, though.

I don't think there is a generalization possible on altitudes, at least here. Some people climb high regardless, some stay very low regardless, & some try for tailwinds. It varies widely, depending on the pilot's mood, the weather, the load, & perhaps whether he has a cold (or one or more of the pax has a cold). I certainly consider the winds aloft rumor (and that's all it is until someone goes up & finds out what they really are), because it can affect the required fuel, & thus the available pax payload. I consider the winds, but they aren't necessarily the most important factor in my decisions. I always believe headwinds, & always discount tailwinds. I may land with more fuel than absolutely necessary, but if I'm not on fire it's a good thing.