PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Waddington Airshow
View Single Post
Old 1st Jul 2011, 09:06
MAN777

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back to original question anybody with display times available yet ??

Re comments about the "showmanship" I agree to the British it all might seem a little OTT but aren't most things American the same, just take a look at how they have glamourised "scenes of crime" with the crop of CSI TV shows !!

I saw them perform at the Turkish air show last month and they were very well received by the local crowd who were the most enthusiastic air show audience i have ever seen, they clapped and cheered at nearly everything, and after the "Solo Turk" F16 display there was an actual "pitch invasion onto the taxiway !!

Anyway back to my point, this show had most major display teams appearing, they all displayed with powerful music and enthusiastic commentary over the PA system, that is until the Red Arrows did their slot, they had no music and a typical British humour commentary that was completely over the heads of most, to say the display came across as flat was an understatement. On the Sunday I suspect someone from on high had had a word with them and hey presto the Red Arrows display was carried out with music, take off to 633 sqn theme was a classic, other tracks such as "we are the champions" and "Jerusalem" went down really well.

The Thunderbirds really know how to put on a show even if we Brits find it OTT but having seen what happened in Turkey I understand why they do it and hey whats wrong with precision movements on the ground as well as in the air