PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Greatest ever blunder in the history of the UK aircraft industry?
Old 1st Jul 2011, 08:07
Halton Brat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Britain's world-leading jet engine technology was also gifted to the USA during WW2, enabling General Electric to become the giant that it is today.

Air Commodore Sir Frank Whittle (naturally, a Halton Apprentice) never really got the rewards that he deserved for his work; Britain has a long & glorious history of invention which is only truly brought to fruition by other nations. At the root of all this lies a national malaise, suspicion & ambivilence towards innovation, strongly rooted in governments of various hues; bring on Mr Dyson, I say.

On the subject of the aforementioned purveyor of domestic vacuum contraptions, I was recently party to a conversation where an account was related regarding the accidental spillage of the contents of a Cremation urn. It would seem that a vacuum cleaner was utilised to recover the granular remains of the dearly departed. I could not resist enquiring if this amounted to "Dyson with death"..........

Profound apologies to all...........have a good weekend chaps

HB