PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What made you walk away
View Single Post
Old 1st Jul 2011, 01:12
remoak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You just have to work out what you are in it for.

If you are one of the star-struck youngsters who simply has to fly at all costs, by all means do the "hard yards", you might get into an airline one day, but then again you might not.

If lifestyle, family and hobbies are more important to you, you may want to consider another career without the penalties that you have to endure in professional aviation.

Personally, I have never paid for a type rating and have always had a reasonable salary (even while instructing). If I had to do it all again today, I doubt I'd bother. Way too expensive in every department, for way too little return.

The other problem is that as soon as you get into an airline, you will find yourself trying to get more time off, less night stops, and so on. In other words, the pilot lifestyle has some definite downers that most pilots can't see until they have been in an airline a few years.

I have walked away a couple of times now (got back into it for a few lucrative contracts), and I have found that my family like it better when I'm not flying. I might go back to it when the kids leave home, but for now the price isn't worth it.