PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread no. 4
View Single Post
Old 30th Jun 2011, 19:53
BOAC
Per Ardua ad Astraeus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PJ - you will find on another thread that I endorse your views that a " different way of thinking, a different approach to training" is needed and that I do not think it is in place.

I firmly believe that in this transitional period where humanity is coming to terms with a technology that is advancing at an incredible pace, aviation design should in simple terms try to conform to 'the norm' ie what would the average competent pilot do here? I have an overspeed situation - would I pull up 4000ft? No, I would control my speed another way. I am stalled - do I expect my warning system to quit? NO. I would like it to carry on telling me I am stalled - it is no secret - it knows! The system has trimmed my tail to the point where I may not be able to fly out of it. Just as with the AMS 737, I would expect some 'big numbers' sign to warn me and preferably to be asked if I really wanted that. Not '"Don't ever touch that wheel - you don't need to". That is what I mean by the 'logic' of the system.

Many years ago I began watching Airbus develop the fbw technology in a state of geeky technophile awe. The shine has long since departed. Friends who have 'crossed over' tell me it is a great system. A great system when all is going well is the kindest thing I can say.