PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Waddington Airshow
View Single Post
Old 30th Jun 2011, 17:37
Geezers of Nazareth

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Having watched their 'display' a few times in the USA, I just hope that the Waddington Show organisers have managed to get them a suitable parking spot somewhere distant. Their formation "salute, walk to airplane (sic), salute, climb ladder, strap-in, close canopy, salute, start engines, salute, etc" is a complete waste of time! It's like something out of 'Strictly Come Dancing'. Put them well out of the way down at the Harmston end of the airfield, give 'em a 15 minute slot for their display, and be done with it.

If they do insist on their ground display, at least get something suitable noisy to fly while their doing it. I'd suggest Harriers (gulp!) or some Saab Viggens.

I can remember a visit to the hangar at Nellis AFB in the late 80s when they'd just started on the F-16s. The tour-guide proudly explained that the TB aircraft were fully combat capable, and they they could be fully converted into front-line combat aircraft in "about 3-4 days each". He looked mightily p-ed off when I mentioned the the 'Red Arrows' could be similarly converted in about 2 hours! For the remainder of the tour he refused to speak to me or acknowledge that I was there! Suits me, Sir. Suits me just fine!