PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What made you walk away
View Single Post
Old 30th Jun 2011, 16:15
CanadaKid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well ...

Having nearly killed myself (age 20) and my 3 pax while working for a crap bush outfit, I packed up shortly thereafter and called it quits. Working at some miserable ground jobs for awhile gave me plenty of time to think about why flying didn't work out for me.

I realized I nearly 'made the headlines', because of my own stupidity and lack of training. I decided I would study all aspects of flying to become a professional, (in theory at least), and apply for professional flying position rather than crap jobs.

Within a year I was hired by a excellent corporate flight outfit, and a short time later by a major airline.

Incidently, the CP at the corporate outfit asked me what I thought about applicants offering to fly for free to get "an endorsement". While I hummed & hawed, he said I'll show you what I think, and he tossed their application in the bin. "If someone thinks so little of themselves that they're willing to work for nothing, I don't want them working for me"

Here it is, decades later, and I'm still working at being a professional pilot. Read, think, read, think - repeat 'til retired.

cheers, CK