PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread no. 4
View Single Post
Old 30th Jun 2011, 14:06
PJ2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HN39;
Somewhat similar to the insight that you have to reduce AoA to unstall an airplane.
Yes, agree. Hopefully the regulators, the sim builders and the airlines will continue the encouraging trend towards such awareness and changes in training. From a recent flight crew training manual revision, "High Speed Protection may also result in activation of the angle of attack protection. In all events, check the AP engagement status, and re-engage it when appropriate. It may have tripped and the associated aural warning may have been superseded by the overspeed aural warning.". I recall our original discussion on AoA in the second thread and how much I've learnt since then from discussions like the present one. The great difference between the stall AoA at low altitude and cruise altitudes was one of the few things that Davies did not discuss, (I suspect because he would never have expected that line pilots would be anywhere near situations requiring that knowledge) and was never discussed as a flight dynamics matter in any training. Many thanks, HN39.