PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - iPad Navigation
Thread: iPad Navigation
View Single Post
Old 30th Jun 2011, 07:54
Dangly Bits

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All,
I spoke with the FuturevDevelopment guys in CASA through my Aviation Safety Advisor. Here's the go.

It is only an EFB if it becomes pad of the aircraft systems. Eg: data logging, engine trend monitoring, or the info from the device goes into the nav or com system.

An iPad's GPS can't be used as a single source of navigation as it isn't TSO'd, but you can use bothe the maps and the charts (DAPS/ERSA) no problem. Nothing is in the regs that says it has to be paper! Same with the weather! I do save the wx through the NAIPS app to prove that I have.

The OzRunway app won't show m out of date maps, so that MUST be a good thing.

The Future Tech guys at CASA are hoping to get out a CAAP on the EFB's based on the FAA's AC 91/78 (Google it) as soon as they can. Some tips from it will be:
Use a cig lighter plug for power to back up battery.
Carry printed copies of approach plates if carrying fare paying pax. (should be in ops manual anyway)
Don't leave it on the dashboard. Too hot and may fry it.
For gawd sake, don't keep your head down looking at the plurry thing! Eyes out of the cockpit!

So for me.... Good-Bye expensive AsA subscription renewals and amendments. Shagpile, my money is coming your way!

DB.