PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Home of Photos in Dunnunda! Mk I
View Single Post
Old 30th Jun 2011, 03:49
frigatebird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FDR
Still got all the marbles..

Frank was Woodfall Aviation in the little hut near the loos at AF from as far back as I can remember
Correct. Brent was an instructor of his that he had posted at an outport. Beth was his senior instructor, who tested me for my Private, before she joined the RFDS.

Snow Richards operated Union Air / Island Air from a base in Toowoomba, and yes - Island Air operated Islanders and Trilanders and a Twotter (I think!) from Brisbane to the Maryborough/Bundaberg/Hervery Bay/Fraser Is area, including Orchard Beach. I think they may have also gone into Noosa.

Part Right. Snow had Unionair in Toowoomba, and then later he bought Island Airways of Hervey Bay (Don Adams and Reg Barnewall - Don ran Island Airways and Reg ran Orchid Beach). Later he had the sand mining shift change contract to shift workers from Maryborough and Hervey Bay in and out of Toby's Gap morning and evening. They used Islanders, Trilanders and Twin Otter. Later he went head to head with Bevan Whitaker to service Noosa, but Bevan got his strip built and approved, and Snow just kept using Maroochy as a stop for the Islander run from Brisbane to Orchid Beach. Don't know what happened to Snow Richards eventually, but heard his son flew helicopters later.
Bevan started NoosaAir with an Islander, a Baron and Cherokee 6., but it grew to include Queenair and Twin Otter in time. Later they operated 402 and Chieftain from Brisbane to Maryborough, Hervey Bay and Bundy (I think) for Ansett. With the change to TAA/Australian oncarriage - the namechange to Sunstate, and the introduction of Bandeirante then Shorts with a hostess, against the Bush Pilots Metro 2's, they garnered the bulk of traffic over time.

rioncentu
Savage Sid got his Private licence, and when Bevan upgraded to a Bonanza 36, FWZ, Sid bought his old '59 182. Later he applied for a Charter licence and employed a young Commercial pilot fresh out of NASA to be the Chief Pilot. Could do that then, also no restrictions on beach landings for joyflights or charter, no permits required, etc. Then he got an all white Cherokee 6 -300, which I used to call Casper. Still later, when he moved onto his first twin, I endorsed him on his 337. He had been keeping the Cessna and the 6 on the beach at the front of Eurong, but the twins were housed in the hangar on the western side of the island opposite River Heads at Woolgoolbver Creek where his River Heads barge came in with the daytrippers. Then came the Beech Duke for a while. No joyflights off the beach in the twins.
But he did build a filtered and airconditioned hangar at Eurong when the fixed wing went, and the new Jetranger arrived. He probably trained on it as part of the purchase deal.

Last edited by frigatebird; 30th Jun 2011 at 04:39.