PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread no. 4
View Single Post
Old 30th Jun 2011, 02:43
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Normal gee

@JD

We are talking about the aircraft reference frame for one gee. That's down from your brain thru your butt if you are not at Creech AFB flying a Predator drone 10,000 miles away, heh heh.

It's the same as when driving a car or flying a Cessna or riding on a roller coaster.

What makes this concept for FBW attractive is that the rate and acceleration sensors so essential to a FBW system do not depend upon earth-referenced gee or air data. Using body rates is also much closer to what we old fossils experienced in every plane we flew. You still have to use your attitude indicator and such when IMC, but somehow the old "seat of the pants" expression holds true.

The Airbus does not "trim" for one gee all the time, but corrects for attitude ( best I can glean from the manuals). So it trims for less than one gee when in a climb/dive. Also adds a bit of gee if in a bank. So in a level 30deg bank it trims for 1.15 gee +/- as the neutral position for the stick. The "other FBW jet" I flew didn't/doesn't do this. The gee command was always thru the body axis ( the jet and the human), plus we could trim the thing for something besides one gee.

Using a gee command system doesn't work real well in a video game or flying a Predator. You can't "feel" the gee.. So a body rate/attitude blend seems better for those applications. Have to check, but I think the Shuttle does that until the system switches over to air data at low altitude, prolly below 100,000 feet or so.

Questions?