PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Home of Photos in Dunnunda! Mk I
View Single Post
Old 30th Jun 2011, 01:43
ForkTailedDrKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh dear, I think the amyloid plaque deposition may be starting to get to you guys!

Actually..I rmember it as Frank Woodfall and Brent Armstrong and Beth Garret.
Frank was Woodfall Aviation in the little hut near the loos at AF from as far back as I can remember - at least the early 70's. I learned to fly with Gill Layt at Woodfall Aviation in 1973.

The other trips from Maryborough were by a Company who I think were based in Toowoomba. “Snow” Somebody was the main man."
Snow Richards operated Union Air / Island Air from a base in Toowoomba, and yes - Island Air operated Islanders and Trilanders and a Twotter (I think!) from Brisbane to the Maryborough/Bundaberg/Hervery Bay/Fraser Is area, including Orchard Beach. I think they may have also gone into Noosa.

I was with him and when he saw Orchid for the first time he said something like “Oh **** it looks a bit rough and it ain’t half short either”.
Orchard Beach was a bit rough with a grass on sand runway. Can't have been that short cause I went in and out of there on a number of occassions in PA28 and PA32 aircraft. The turbulence off the northern end of the runway as you came in over the beach could get your attention - and did cause a few aircraft to come to grief. Island strips can be like that!

Mrs Dr still talks about the day we fell out of the sky going into Brampton - some 30+ years ago.

Dr

Last edited by ForkTailedDrKiller; 30th Jun 2011 at 01:56.