PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Home of Photos in Dunnunda! Mk I
View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2011, 22:30
frigatebird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
airfreight
That is a classic vid from fifty years ago of Sam's Messenger over Fraser. Thanks. That would have been him in the hat, I remember he used to wear a hat when I saw him around the hangar.
I didn't start private flying over Fraser until '67/68 (and that was in a Sunland Musketeer..), but did charter there in the early '70's in an early 182 and Cherokee 6 and Islander. The 'Maheno' wreck was fairly intact still then, and would land on the beach alongside it to take photos. We carried the perishables in for the Happy Vally store, as well as fishermen, or joyflighters, and did some work for Sid Melksham at Eurong,too,until he got his own licence and pilot. Had the contract to fly the perishables onto the beach under Sandy Cape lighthouse too, when the light was manned.
Counted them once (when I had nothing else to do), all up, did about 800 beach landings on Fraser and on the beach near where the 'Cherry Venture' went aground south of Double Island point.
NZFlyingKiwi
Often wondered what happened to the Messenger, good to hear it is still going if that is the same serial number.
Someone may be flying his Tripacer still too..

Last edited by frigatebird; 29th Jun 2011 at 22:44.