PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cabin crew suffering insomnia
View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2011, 18:29
Jetlagged Purser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After 32 years as a flight attendant, I am always awake after 5 hours sleep and can usually go back to sleep after an hour or 2 on days off. On nights before an early check-in, I almost always take an over-the-counter sleep aid that we have available here in the US that contains diphenhydramine. Taking it gives me a minimum of 8 hours sleep, sometimes more. I have other medications that I use on other occasions for getting less sleep that I get from my doctor or on foreign layovers. The downside, according to many of my co-workers, is drowsiness after waking up or becoming too dependant on medication.

You'll have many flight attendants tell you that they never take anything to sleep, but, for me, a good nights sleep is essential to do a good job. I'll do pretty much anything to be well-rested to be at the top of my game on the airplane. On the other hand, I never take anything to sleep on my time off from work, because, as I said, I am lucky enough to always get back to sleep.

For me, sleep aids have helped me avoid the problem that the OP mentions of waking up too early & wise use of medications can make the life of a flight attendant much easier.