PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Decision to axe Harrier is "bonkers".
View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2011, 16:48
SAMXXV

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gaz ED. You speak drivel (I note your age of 41...). I was one of the Ops Officers on 24/7 duty at RAF Laarbruch during Op Granby. I knew minute by minute via US/UK Eyes Only Int signals & via ASMA exactly what was happening. As I recall, out of your supposed 8 Tornado losses, one was shot down by a US Patriot battery, one (The then brand new OC XV Sqn in the back seat) had a bloody bolt rolling around in the cockpit which seized the control column so that the crew could only turn starboard, which they did for over an hour, hurling the A/C around until low fuel meant ejection. They had no idea that it was a 20 pence bolt that caused a multi-million pound loss until the wreckage was investigated.

The rest of the Tornado losses were all dubious - some were put down to poor Nav planning & fragging by ordnance from the preceding A/C. Others to SAM's - which I don't believe.

I could also name & shame the several GR1 Navs (No pilot to my knowledge refused) who refused to fly on the first & second sorties due to "lack of moral fibre" & were promptly returned to Germany for "medical attention" - but I won't. I'm sure that this sort of thing doesn't happen in the Senior Service does it?

I will obviously get flamed by the GR1 guys - but I had the Int/facts & they had only the rumours.....