PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A Few Questions about PPL/Scotland
View Single Post
Old 7th Oct 2002, 18:51
carb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just had a couple hours check-out, which took that long basically as I wasn't too current and needed some refreshing to get my PFLs and cross-wind landings up to scratch (very windy day!!!), as far as RT goes though, they set me lose out there on my own to pick it up by experience. The hardest thing at first was making out a word that anybody was saying! Mumbling Scottish accents...

Expect "line-up" instead of "taxi into position and hold"... "QNH" or "QFE" instead of "altimeter" (QNH)... and quaint phrases like "report coasting in, coasting out" and "pass your message"...

Brakes-off to brakes-on is nice... saves a few mins off each rental... if you forget to note down a time, Tower seem to keep an accurate log of all your movements!

Oban and Inverness are great flights, mountains look the same as in California only here they're half the height and don't seem so turbulent, and have the addition of lochs in between... if necessary you can fly VFR along the valleys, under the clouds, by following main roads, though I've not had to try that yet, been some superb CAVOK days lately. Dundee is fun to land it on runway 28, you turn final over the downtown area.

ATC (Scottish FIS) don't have low-level radar so you have to keep telling them where you are and when you think you'll get to where you're going!