PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread no. 4
View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2011, 04:38
RR_NDB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ridiculous design (AS issue)

I.e. BADLY! This redundancy implementation is USELESS specially at "cruise FL". Or worse, creating a CRTICAL design.

The use of a "voting scheme" capable to "major a/c reconfig" using identical (sub heated) not adequate Pitotīs is a direct path to PROBLEMS!

The System design managers that accepted this as a reliable System (fault tolerant) from the engineering team IMO DID NOT realize the OVERALL SYSTEM (aircraft+pilot) departed from the VERY IMPORTANT "graceful degradation" goal. It seems "bit oriented Engineers" concerned (absolutely justifiable) with computer systems (obviously requiring redundancy) induced to a "concept error" wrt to the AS measurements; To Project managers concerned (absolutely justifiably) with the importance of AS measurements for this design.

This a/c design IMO (wrt AS) is flawed in:

1) Ridiculous AS sensors redundancy (useless)*
2) The use of this voting scheme to not adequate AS sensors (sub heated)

Note: IMO this design EXACERBATES Pitotīs icing susceptibility

* Exception at TMA FL when one may mention chances of birds collision. I am not considering Pitot heater failure. We can discuss this aspect later.

Who can tell me why they implemented this redundancy in respect to AS measurements? I would like to understand the reason.

AF delay in replacing Pitotīs obviously contributed (to Murphy Law) but is not as serious imo compared to Airbus SAS (and Certification) failure.

It seems to me (as a technician) that the bureaucrats are in charge. And the pilotīs being informed they are using a redundant, etc. (advanced design).

I hope for a review of this issue (in every "advanced a/c") using this. Even with super heated Pitotīs i never would adopt this.