PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread no. 4
View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2011, 02:52
OK465

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Abstraction…you don't need to know how the transmission works to drive to work everyday.
I tend to agree with CogSim’s comparison whether semantically, technically or practically correct or not.

I flew a FBW SS fighter aircraft among other aircraft. I never really cared much about what, software-wise, those control surfaces were doing out there banging about as long as I was getting what I expected out of the aircraft while adhering to my responsibilities manipulating the SS.

For “simplicity”, I preferred to think of all of those various control surfaces as, “wish-erons”, because the aircraft gave me so much I had always wished for, but couldn’t get, in the previous non-FBW fighters I had flown.

Software engineers are on the ground writing code; I’m in the air (simulated now for this old guy) basically ignoring it. Both sides are successful. Pilots fly aircraft, not software.

It’s a given, however, that the automatic transmission/gearbox should function properly every day, but if it doesn’t, it’s not a big drop stepping out of the car.