PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How did you do it... the work/family juggle.
Old 29th Jun 2011, 01:19
Di_Vosh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Knox

Some pretty good advice here.

My thoughts:

First and foremost:

You need an understanding and supportive partner/family. By this I mean that they'll be willing to have you work at some remote location and see them a few days per month. Or that they'll come with you and are happy to live in, say, Tennant Creek, while you're there flying. Without a supportive wife you'll either not succeed in aviation, or you will succeed but as a single man.

Second is finance.

There is no point in sacrificing your existing career to become a pilot if you become bankrupt before you acheive your goals. Do your sums as to whether you can leave your family behind while you're up north or if you can bring them with you. Similar for paying off home loans, etc.

With both of the above, assume that you're going to be up there for twice as long as you'd like to be, and earning around 2/3 of what you'd like to earn.

In my case, I told my partner that I'd probably be away from Melbourne for around 18 months before I could get a flying job in Melbourne. In all, it took me 2 1/2 years. (Four years if you include an overseas trip with the army which helped to fund my time in Darwin and Mildura). The added costs of me living in Darwin and Mildura over 2 1/2 years was around $30,000.00.

It can be done.

DIVOSH!