PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QF the Best Of the Best
View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2011, 00:50
RENURPP

Received 33 Likes on 8 Posts
Im not in QF so this isn't driven by my HUGE QF ego.
First point is that I don't think QF pilots start off as being any better than anyone else, they achieve a higher standard through experience and culture.

Companies who want the best employees, amongst other things offer more attractive packages. (Qantas)
QF use to be the employer of choice for a large percentage of pilots and other employee groups.
Today, well they are a **** employer, they do not appear to seek quality any more, they simply seek to find the cheapest available pilots and other employees, (welcome Bogan Air)
The old days it was a long hard road to the top in QF but when you got there you could be fairly certain that your training was excellent, the culture was one of safety, and you certainly had experience. (purely through time with the company)
Compare that with Bogan Air, they will employ any one who comes along with $100k in daddies pocket, hours mean nothing, in fact you are of a higher standard if you are inexperienced apparently. Commands and progression can be quick if your prepared to forget about safety and take less money.

I feel safe in a QF aircraft and I am more than happy to pay for it, even as a pilot I have second thoughts about hopping on a Bogan Air flight, and i am serious that I have serious concerns. I justify it in my own mind by saying they haven't buried one yet, and whats the chance they will do it tonight?
I will only travel with them if there is no other option and unfortunately that has been the case from Darwin (no options) heading north, fortunately Air Asia and soon to be Cebupacificair are options which I take in preference.

The old saying you pay peanuts...............................