PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATPLs at Distance - Advice please
View Single Post
Old 28th Jun 2011, 21:38
CAT3C AUTOLAND

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chaps,

Motivation is key here and Graham has given some good information. Structure to your study is key to getting through the exams.

One of the problems with this course of study is it takes a tremendous amount of commitment and discipline to be able to study and apply what you have learned to getting through the exams on the first attempt. Of course you have a number of tools available to you and you must use them wisely.

One problem that most people have, is having to put life on hold for 6 months, a year, 18 months is difficult for anyone. If you are full time, you are flat out for 6 months, if you are DL, then most of your free time is spent with your head in the books and your time with your family and friends suffers.

I do not have experience of DL, as I did my ground school full time. James, I would, if you can do ground school full time. Spend 6 months really giving it 110% and get the exams done and out the way. I know it will be tough being away from you job and family, but at least it gets done. I put my life on hold for 6 months and had a program which I stuck to and it worked. Another great thing about doing this, is you are in amongst a bunch of guys and girls who are all in the same boat, and find you will form a supportive bond between you all and you all help each other to get through. I found this atmosphere to be really helpful. Of course, doing full time ground school does not suit everyone, but its worth some consideration.

Dipole, I agree with Graham with certain issues and your study technique is the key to your success. Remembering all that information is a tall order for most people. Try and work through the manuals and make key notes on each subject along the way. Condense these notes and it will give you something to refer to in a more manageable format. Once you have completed your studies, you can then attend your 2 week brush course and the instructors will then give you the tools to hone your knowledge for the exam technique.

The stages of your training from PPL, hour building, ATPL ground school, CPL, IR and MCC and going onto Jet conversion training have their own hurdles to over come. However, if you stick with it, motivate yourself and put the work in, it will all fall into place and its a great feeling when it does .

All the best guys.