PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 wreckage found
View Single Post
Old 28th Jun 2011, 21:11
Lonewolf_50

Received 417 Likes on 260 Posts
Roseland: from your link

STALL RECOVERY

In alternate and direct laws, an aural stall warning “STALL, STALL, STALL” sounds at low speeds. Recovery is conventional. Apply the following actions simultaneously:

·

Set TOGA thrust
· Reduce pitch attitude to 10° below FL200 or 5° at or above FL200
· Roll wings level
· Check that the speedbrake is retracted

I don't know if this has since been revised, (2005) but I am not sure I'd have listed them in that order, particularly since the potential pitch up moment from TOGA can interfere with nose attitude reduction.

Granted, engines do take time to spool up, so perhaps that order listing, since one ought to be working it all at once, ends up with a nose lowered, wings rolled level, and power arriving on time to get the most thrust one can, and clean up the bird comes last. (Fly/configure, correct order).

As I suggested above, this procedure far more closely resembles a response to stall warning, which is given at an AoA before stall, by design. Follow the bouncing ball ... as the pilot continues with the stated procedure ...
  1. Below FL200 and in the clean configuration, select Flaps 1.
  2. If ground contact is possible, reduce pitch attitude no more than necessary to allow airspeed to increase.
  3. After the initial recovery, maintain speed close to VSW until it is safe to accelerate.
  4. When out of the stall condition and no threat of ground contact exists, select the landing gear up.
  5. Recover to normal speeds and select flaps as required.
  6. In case of one engine inoperative use thrust and rudder with care.
The aural stall warning may also sound at high altitude* where it warns that the aircraft is approaching the angle of attack for the onset of buffet.

* = this passage is consistent with the idea that the initial procedural steps are tailored to a low altitude procedure response to a stall warning in alternate or direct law.

{Proceeding with high alt stall warning }

1. To recover, relax the back pressure on the sidestick and if necessary reduce bank angle.
Once the stall warning stops, back pressure may be increased again, if necessary, to get back on the planned trajectory.
Would be good steps to recover from a stall as well, except "if necessary, reduce bank angle" seems redundant. If stalled, or darned near, reducing bank angle is another way to reduce stall margin.