PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 28th Jun 2011, 17:14
walter kennedy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Robin
I can understand your confusion – I thought I had explained this in posts some time ago and it is in my report but just in case I will explain again with this excerpt:

<<There was also a “starting” position, a fix that Racal seems to have confused with an initialisation fix - the following extract from the Racal report describes a position fix they made after they had left the aerodrome:
-----------------
2.2.2 Initialisation Fix time and position
The superTANS stores the last operator fix position and time which were:
Last Fix time: 16:07:09.9
Latitude: N 54 41.10'
Longitude: W 006 11.89'
Selected sensor at time of Initial Fix: GPS
2.2.3 Comment
2.2.3.1 The initial position would have been written into both GPS and Doppler Navigation positions.
2.2.3.2 It is a recommended procedure that waypoint number “1” is the home base defined on the DTD to which the system will usually be initialised.
2.2.3.3 In this case, the system was initialised according to that procedure, at the position defined as point number “1” in the waypoints database, named “V813”.
--------------------
This is rather confusing as it would seem to suggest that the location where you are setting off from would be the first waypoint and it is saying that this was the case – however, the above fix is not on the aerodrome at Aldergrove but 1.7 nmiles from the VOR site on a bearing of 45M but on 027 from the radar – Racal seems to have assumed that the last fix stored was the initialisation fix but actually plotting it on a map (or digital map – easier and more accurate) reveals the extra fix after departure – let us refer to this position as “Fix1” - this was normal procedure in those days (to do a fix soon after take off to reinforce the initial fix, such was the distrust of the GPS at the time) – a point from witness [*****].>>
The time may have been for the initialisation fix but this next fix position was loaded ready for entering when they passed over the location – if the reading was close enough, they may not have bothered to update it – perhaps others that used this practice at the time could explain better?
The track from “Fix1” to waypoint A was 027 – hope this helps.