PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 4th June 2010 B737-800 rejected takeoff after V1 Report is out
Old 28th Jun 2011, 13:11
ETOPS240

Originally Posted by SASKATOON9999
Its better to have rejected and and wish you had not - Than to have not and wished you had!
If I'm understanding you correctly, then that's a pretty concerning statement. Boeing, Airbus and all of their operators disagree with you in this context.

Let us work this example, using a shorter runway (the only reason that this wasn't a catastrophe) -

1. Crew notice there is an anomaly on scanning the ASI after V1. Crew rightfully continue. Once in the air, the QRH is referred to, and necessary action taken. If needs be, the aircraft can be safely returned to land. Crew think to themselves "Oh, that was a pain to deal with, it would have been nice if I had noticed the anomaly before 80kts, ideally."

or,

2. Crew notice there is an anomaly on scanning the ASI after V1. Crew abort the takeoff, and the aircraft goes sliding off the end of the runway, through obstacles, and winds up as a burning metal sculpture. Crew think to themselves "better to have rejected and wish I hadn't rather than..."

Oh wait, no they don't. They're dead.

Hope this helps.