PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - climb gradient
Thread: climb gradient
View Single Post
Old 28th Jun 2011, 12:41
Microburst2002

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yesterday I performed a visual approach, which I haven't for a year or so.

the captain switched off both ILS indications, to make it "real". I was already on slope, two red, two white, so it was very easy. GS was about 185 knots, so immediately I aimed for a 900 fpm (half the GS plus one zero, really easy). As I configured (flaps 2, 3, full) the GS decreased to about 100 knots (I had about 30 knots headwind). So I reduced the rate accordingly, halving the GS and adding one zero until I had 500 fpm. The papi was still on slope, and the atmosphere was relatively stable, so with few inputs I was able to keep desired rate. The captain "cheated" from time to time an showed me the G/S and LOC indication and I was very accurately on the ILS. Wind component decreased sharply, GS mini did its job and I had to increase the rate to about 700 fpm as the GS was then about 130 kt. I flared at the aiming point.

I like to fly by the numbers and supported by the seat of the pants, or by the seat of the pants supported by the numbers.

I really think it is a good exercise to carry out an ILS without the ILS, conditions permitting, purely visually (with or without papi) to enhance "seat of the pants" experience and also to practice raw data ILS approaches, to enhance "flying by the numbers" experience and then combine both. Then, you have that experience and knowledge the day you have to land in the middle of nowhere, with no ILS or papi.