PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Defence Board Civilianised (More or less) - merged
Old 28th Jun 2011, 10:40
Widger

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
I think that it is a very well written and overdue report (no, I didn't write it). I suggest those who are throwing bricks, might like to read the report and once they have finished also go and read Bernard Gray's report on Defence acquisition as well. The main points, which I welcome, are:

Removal of the single service chiefs from main building who were always a hurdle to progress, forever bringing single service politics into any issue rather than, as the report states, what is best for Defence. The single services will now have their own budgets and also have their feet held to the fire to manage them - no more blaming the other services for failure.

JFCOM taking on the role of SRO for things like ISTAR etc, which will allow a much more balanced approach to such capabilities, rather than the RAF fighting with the Army over who controls UAVS, some vision and clarity for the future and some development of a maritime/deployable/Litorral ISTAR capability.

Significant reduction in the Capability Sponsor areas, which involved huge numbers of people, just manipulating money every year. A complete waste of resource and time.

Refocus of the Headquarters on Strategic and financial issues rather than the long screwdrivering it has conducted up to now, even getting involved in PJHQ and FLC business.

Lord Levene gives a very good summary at the end of why previous attempts have on the whole, failed. His recommendations include ensuring that Senior Appointments get more scrutiny, those underperforming get the sack and that those same people are held to account to a Defence Board that does not have single service influences.

All in all, a very welcome report which should be embraced in full, along with Bernard Gray's reforms.