PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread no. 4
View Single Post
Old 28th Jun 2011, 09:49
DJ77

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi HN39, re # 452

I too started my career with mechanical controls and I have really nothing against FBW or automation: I enjoyed it during my last 10 years on the 777. Perhaps it is not necessary to call Darwin .

I think you missed my point about what I called “a new way of flying aircrafts”. It’s a way you don’t learn at flight school (at least not yet). I meant the throttle system, the sidestick controller with the mechanical link replaced by a priority pushbutton, the auto-trim and perhaps other minor systems. I understand these choices and see that they were, justified from an engineering POV. Airbus knew they were removing some feedbacks the pilots were used to. They admittedly tried to mitigate the drawbacks but pilots had to adapt. These changes were not introduced to please the pilots. Pilots don’t buy airliners anyway, airlines do.

About the auto-trim, when AoA protection is active, further nose up trim cannot be applied. You must move the sidestick backward to fly at a greater AoA. With neutral stick, speed will return to alpha prot speed. This provides stability. In ALT law, when AoA protection is not available, auto-trim is always active. Chris Scott explained that the THS would move to full nose up when unable to satisfy positive g demand in a stall. Is he wrong?
I am sure you know flight dynamics enough to understand why preventing the THS to trim up as soon as stall warning is triggered could achieve.

Last edited by DJ77; 28th Jun 2011 at 11:45.