PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread no. 4
View Single Post
Old 28th Jun 2011, 00:28
wallybird7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ZOOM CLIMB What really happened

Hi Henra

All Valid questions.

“Uncommanded 7000 fpm rate of climb”. Why I think that it was uncommanded.

When a plane is at max cruising altitude (35,000) which the crew noted because the temps were higher than forecast, and therefore unable to maintain a higher altitude, why would they intentionally try to do it? Why would they climb to a higher altitude when they knew they could not maintain it?

In weather a normal climb should not exceed 1000 fpm. Beyond that you are out of normal control. Without access to the performance charts I can’t believe it would be possible to execute a climb at a higher rate than that.

There was never any indication that the pilot requested a climb nor received clearance for one.

At the same time, all hell broke loose and everything turned off.

What would cause all of these events?

Would entering a severe thunderstorm have anything to do with it?

The meteorological analysis showed evidence of strong up and down drafts of up to 60-70 knots. Which translates into 6000-7000 fpm rates of climb approximately.

Is it possible that the plane encountered a severe updraft that carried or pushed it up to a rate of 7000 fpm? Is it possible that the updraft or severe turbulence pushed the nose down at the same time the plane was gaining altitude? And if so, is it not possible that the trim reacted in the opposite direction?

And with the pitots icing up is it possible that the sensors were providing false info to the computers? Some indicate overspeed, some indicated > 60 kts. Which is which?

Was it the pilot commanding nose up or the trim system itself? Which?

And at the top of the zoom what was the state of the plane? To me in a stall that they never recovered from.

Check the charts to determine minimum control speed. I know if you’re anywhere near 120 kts you better be on the ground. Not at 35,000 feet.

Do we really “know” any of this? Of course not. Nobody does or ever will.