PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PIFR vs CIR
Thread: PIFR vs CIR
View Single Post
Old 28th Jun 2011, 00:10
BoatsNHos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IREX

Will focus on doing the IREX (doesnt look simple)
It's really not that bad, and as sad as it sounds I actually enjoyed learning the theory. Buy the Bob Tait study guide (and if you don't already have them, current CAOs/CARs/AIP/ERSA/DAPs/ERCs/TACs/PCA), and set aside about a week to go through the guide cover to cover. If you do that you could probably pass the exam without even opening the CAO/CAR/AIP, but given you have 3.5 hours there's plenty of time to double check your answers by finding the relevant references. Although many of the rules are poorly written, most of them have a basis in common sense, and Bob does a great job in pointing that out.

Tips:
- While studying, don't look at the references given in the study guide and try to find them yourself (CASA constantly move stuff around in the AIP anyway, so it's impossible for Bob to keep the references 100% up to date). You'll soon realise you're constantly turning to the same sections and get pretty handy at navigating through the books.

- You aren't allowed to Tab the CAO/CAR, but there are only a few sections you really need for the IREX anyway (i.e. aircraft equipment, radar, PPL/CPL/IR/NVFR Minimum/Recent experience requirements), so just fold the corners of those pages over for quick reference and highlight the key words. I even removed some big chunks of the CAO for the exam.

- If you already have things highlighted (highlit?), use a different colour for the IREX stuff so it's easy to pick out. Don't highlight whole paragraphs or pages... just a few key words.

- Remember there's also some info in the front of the ERSA and DAPs, so if you can't find something (like Radio failure procedures or circling height obstacle clearance)... look in those.

- Read the whole question twice. They often throw a word in which completely changes the intent of the question. If you just read it once, it's very easy to set off answering the wrong the question. They also like their Red Herrings... For example lots of my questions gave me the Pressure Error Correction even though you don't need it to work out the answer (like when working out alternate minima). Of course the multi guess answers then include the right answer, the right answer + PEC, and the right answer - PEC.

- If you have time left at the end, read the questions again.... I guarantee that despite your best efforts you'll find something you mis-read.