PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 4th June 2010 B737-800 rejected takeoff after V1 Report is out
Old 27th Jun 2011, 18:11
757_Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There may have been a technical issue with the aircraft, but I'm sorry RTO with the nosewheel already in the air is suicidal. Unless the aircraft is disintegrating in flames around you there is absolutely, 100% no excuse for such an action.
Speed trend vectors, airspeed disagreements etc are NOT causes for RTO. Boeing publish an entire unreliable airspeed section of the QRH and sudden speed changes on rotation is covered by a windshear escape manouvre (or manover if you're from over the pond!)
My point being that whatever happened at rotation is covered by SOP, is already covered by memory items and manouvres all of which SHOULD be known and trained, this wasnt a one-off 'think outside the box' incdent.
Instinct is a fine thing and I certainly do not advocate blind obedience to SOP's regardless. But with the nosewheel off the ground for 2 seconds is not the time to go off the reservation.
The only thing that saved them was a long runway, they were Waaaaaaaaaay outside the envelope.